Tuesday, April 24, 2012

10 Seconds With: Naama Kates



Naama Kates is a Los Angeles transplant whose move from New York left her feeling lost and lonely; feelings that inspired the songs that would become her debut album, “The Unexamined Life.” A tongue-in-cheek take on Socrates’ “an unexamined life is not worth living,” Naama spent a year reflecting on her life and the path that she had chosen.

“My life was nothing but examined,” shares Kates. “I had just moved to Los Angeles and everything that I was feeling got written into a song; my personal therapy. What I write tells me what I’m thinking, reflects what I’m going through.”

What started with a small keyboard that Kates purchased at Guitar Center led to an impressive catalogue of original songs about universal themes, such as loneliness and unrequited love. Written with a soft touch and a slight edge, Kates’ take on subject matter that could be dreary is light and hopeful, which is further elevated by her superb arrangements. Count backward from one-to-eight before you lose it…

MS: BTW I love your single “Before You Lose It”.

NK: Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, Thank You.

MS: One of the things I really like, that I typed in the intro, is the line  - “Count Backward from one - to - eight” before you lose it…that was interesting I think most people take about twenty. (laughs)

NK: Well, it’s based on, ya know, you are supposed to count to ten before you say anything. I made it eight because music is in four/four time.


MS: That makes perfect sense. Do you write all of your stuff, or do you collaborate?

NK: I write all my stuff. I do the piano, lyrics and the chords, the song is fully written, and I work with a producer, he then puts it together with drums, guitars, bass, he plays the bass so he does that part. I don’t do the arrangements, obviously my producer does that. (laughs)

MS: You based the title of your upcoming album “The Unexamined Life” on a quote from Socrates “An Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living”. You also say your life is nothing but examined, expand on that.

NK: Oh well, that has to do with a little less than one year after moving to Los Angeles, CA - I started writing and bought a keyboard. At that point I was not going out at all, not leaving the house, I was an agoraphobic…and I didn’t like driving very much. I was taking two LACC classes because I decided to stop acting, working a bar two nights a week. That’s all I did for a year, it was a lot of introspection. (laughs) I figured out what mattered, and what didn’t.

Examine your life with Naama at: http://twitter.com/#!/naamakates

2 comments:

  1. I love the opening piano chords... poignant and melancholic, with a measure of hope... "Before You Lose It" is one of only a handful of songs that touches something deep down inside me... songs I call 'soul-touchers'.

    I have her album in a playlist on Spotify right now... one of several playlists that accompany my writing.

    Thank you for sharing Naama with us, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER DOPE ....DIFFERENT....U INSPIRED ME..THANK U....I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT MATTERS..THE FUTURE...GOD BLESS YOU

    ReplyDelete