Saturday, June 1, 2024

I Am Who I Am

American Idol’s David Hernandez is releasing a re-imagined version of the title track from his first EP, I Am Who I Am.  The new version has been shortened to “I AM,” but still tells the story of David’s earlier years, growing up in a broken home among family members struggling with substance abuse, all while being bullied in school for his differences.  “I was listening to that old record, going down the memory lane of my life and career, remembering that young kid who was scared yet somehow had the audacity to chase his dream on national TV,” David Hernandez reflects today.    “It occurred to me how much I still relate to him.” It got David to thinking: what if he re-recorded the track and revamped it for the modern era, as a nod to all that he has been through since? He reached out to the producer of that first EP, Alex Teamer, and within a few days, they had a new version of the song.  

“So much of what I sang about in my first album still rings true today,” David Hernandez continues from his Los Angeles home.  “I’ve worked so hard to overcome the traumas of my childhood, and by the grace of God, I have managed to heal so much of my past pain, but I would be lying if I said that some days weren’t still a struggle.  I think I will always be discovering who I am until my dying day. There’s a beauty in that.”

The new version of “I AM” is an anthemic pop song, with David’s powerful vocals amplified by the addition of orchestral strings, piano, and drums.  Like the original, it delivers hints of soul and R&B but the new version adds major and minor chords throughout that produce a sense of push and pull, reminiscent of the emotional tugs many people battle on their journey to self-discovery. There is also a huge climatic chorus and an ending choir that takes listeners to church with a spiritual experience meant to drive home the feelings of hope and redemption.

The music video, co-produced and directed by David Hernandez and Johny D. and shot in Burbank at Stage 35, echoes the sentiment of the song.  It opens with David, the music star, about to perform on stage, greeted by applause and adulation from screaming fans while at the same time, facing an onslaught of criticism and homophobia from the media.  The pressure is intense and an emotionally beaten David Hernandez wonders, “Who am I?”.  A polaroid image of David as an adorable child in a Mickey Mouse shirt is depicted on a screen and then we see an all grown up David in that same Mickey Mouse shirt as he looks back at pivotal moments of his life and career.

“I remember the initial excitement of stardom when I thought it was all cheering crowds and fancy clothes,” David says.  “But pretty quickly, the doubts crept it along with the questions:  Is this it? Is this me? Did I hit my goal? Have I realized my dreams? Why do I feel so empty?”
In the video, Hernandez finally loses control, ripping his costume off and trashing his dressing room.  He walks out to an empty set, in complete silence and loneliness, left to his own thoughts.  There is no crowd. There are no distractions. No one is there to lean on.  Only him. 

David Hernandez gained national attention as a Top 12 finalist on American Idol. Since then, his talents have been showcased on notable platforms like The Ellen ShowThe Today Show, MTV's TRL, and TV Guides' Sexiest Stars.   He even performed at the Inaugural Kick-Off Celebration ball for Barack Obama alongside renowned artists John Legend and Maroon 5. 


In his music, David draws inspiration from legends like Stevie Wonder, John Legend, Whitney Houston, Donnie Hathaway, Alicia Keys, Luther Vandross, Beyoncé, and Michael Jackson. He writes and produces his own original music.  One of David's notable hits, "Beautiful," made its way to the Top 100 of the Billboard Dance charts, with its music video becoming a viral sensation. In the past year, he has released several self-produced songs and music videos including "Sorry," "Kingdom," and the infectious summer anthem "Boomerang." 

 

David also recently completed a successful 8-month residency in the Off-Broadway musical comedy Naked Boys Singing, for which he won the Broadway World Award for "Best Performer in a Musical."

 

His latest album, Don’t @ Me, is available on all digital platforms.  It includes the hit singles "Vices" and "When it Rains, it Pours”.  The album’s title claps back at critics who publicly outed him for being gay and for being a former stripper.   “They still don’t realize how much their words have scarred me,” David says today.

 

He understands he is not alone in his mental health struggles and often hears from fans who are facing their own hardships.  “It’s why I never want to sugarcoat things in my music,” he explains.  “I hate when people act like their life has been a breeze. That's not how life works. Sometimes it's incredible and other times it is really f-ing hard. But no matter how hard it gets, it’s important to remember that we all have the strength and ability to push through our pain and turn it into triumph.”

 

#   #   #

 

 

Visit:  www.OfficialDavidHernandez.com

 

 Follow David Hernandez on
Instagram: DHernandezMusic
Facebook: DHernandezMusic
X: DHernandezMusic
Youtube: DavidHernandezMusic

 

No comments:

Post a Comment