Monday, January 28, 2019

"Homewrecker"



Filmmaker and horror fan Robert Hensley has made a delectable short film in the genre with the title Homewrecker - let me give my opinion on it before Robert explains it all to you.

I really love that he has gotten to the root of horror films from my youth, yeah they weren't all slasher films and bloodbaths, stuff like that. They had character, and played upon our inner anxiety and fears. 

Robert's short which won the Direct Monthly Online Film Festival is well deserved. It does  a quite modern take on an old tale La Llorona and it works like a charm. I have actually watched it a few times, it's that good. I felt the best way to convey the cool factor of it to all of you minions was this statement from the man behind it all Robert Hensley!!! 

"When did horror films become a vehicle for grotesque gore and franchisable maniacs with the weakest of plots barely gluing it all together? Thankfully, filmmakers such as James Wan are producing films which throw back to a more story and character-rich horror genre. This, too, is where I found the inspiration for HOMEWRECKER.

Rona
A huge fan of Hitchcock and Carpenter, I set out to create a short horror film which built up a sense of anticipation. The audience knows something is going on, something is coming, and it all leads up to that reveal. Blood and guts were incidental to the story as a whole.

I was inspired by the traditional fable of “La Llorona,” also known as the Wailing Woman or Woman in White. There are several variations of the tale, all featuring a beautiful woman who married for money, and kills herself in despair when her husband leaves her for another woman. In one version, she kills her children in a rage and then takes her own life when she realizes what she’s done. In all the various tellings, she comes back and walks the riverside where she drowned and wails for the loss of her children or her marriage. Whoever hears her scream is cursed to die.


For HOMEWRECKER, I focused on a failing marriage and a philandering husband. This was the catalyst for Rona to take her own life and her transformation into a vengeful spirit. While “La Llorona” is always connected to water: a stream, a river, or a lake, I chose to consider more domestic uses for water such as bathing, showering, and laundry. 

C&C (Chests & Crack)
The first horror film I actually had permission to watch was “My Bloody Valentine,” which has an infamous laundromat scene. Being a child of the eighties, the horror films I grew up with were R-rated, T&A, boy’s club franchises. I also wanted to pay tribute to these movies in some way. Getting permission to film a scene in a laundromat was a start!

Nudity was another. However, I made the decision to keep my female talent clothed, and undress the men, turning T&A into C&C (chests and crack). I cast actors who were not afraid to disrobe and appear nude on camera for a vigorous sex scene, which builds along with the drama happening with Rona at home.

Finally, the colors, saturation, and tones in the finished film find comparisons to the horror films of the 70’s and 80’s. Jason Lange, our cinematographer, who lit and shot HOMEWRECKER by himself, created a beautiful visual tribute to the films which inspired me."


Become a Homewrecker at:

No comments:

Post a Comment