Sunday, January 21, 2024

Inland Empire

Yesterday was Filmakker David Lynch's Birthday. With all the Social Media posts that naturally happened this post about Inland Empire caught my wandering eye. It stopped and made me reminisce about this piece of darkness and how much it really did get under my skin.

Whilst like most individuals Mullholland Drive is my favorite Lynch film, Inland Empire is a close second and the one that truly made my skin crawl (sorry Blue Velvet &Eraserhead)

There's a hoplessness within it, and a heartlessness that just, well, I don't know is hard to explain to anyone who hasn't seen it and even those who have can't quite put it into words. It does stick with you and frankly hasn't left since I saw the film when it first came out in 2006.

Laura Dern gives a virtuoso performance at the center of it all. I remember when David Lynch himself sat outside of Tower Records on the Sunset Strip with a banner and a cow (yes, a cow) touting Dern for a Best Actress Oscar Nomination.

So happy belated Birthday to Mr. David Lynch and in honor of it I'm going to rewatch Inland Empire again, it's time...

Inland Empire on Rotten Tomatoes -

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inland_empire  

No comments:

Post a Comment