Friday, January 8, 2021

Celebrating David Bowie

Let's Dance!
David Bowie

Today would have been David Bowie's 74th Birthday. With 27 albums and 145 million copies sold worldwide David Bowie continues to inspire generation after generation. Thus I thought we would mark the legacy of this legend today. Not to mention that he is one of my favorite artists.

I thought what could I add to this day and I can say plenty, but will keep it to personal experiences. "Yes" I have a couple, wait for it...

David Bowie was my first concert I went to, it was for the Let's Dance Tour and The Tubes opened for him at the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, WA. Wow! What a show that was, seeing a master of his art take the stage and command it like he did is something I will always remember. I would go on to see him two other times in concert, one of them was a co-tour with Nine Inch Nails. This is one of the things I am thankful for in my lifetime, that I have bared witness to him, live.

The next was even more personal, "Yes" I've met David Bowie. It was in a time before there were smart phones, so no visual evidence. I wished there was, as given my encounter with him I'm sure he would have graciously consented to photos. 

I was working at Tower Records Sunset in Los Angeles. He came in one day and I remember all of us that worked there were awe struck. Honestly he's the only personal I have ever freaked out about (in a good way) seeing and meeting them. 

He was so gracious and down to earth. No ego or attitude, very kind and so humble. So humble that when one of the clerks said: "Mr. Bowie it's such honor to meet you" He said: "Oh please, I'm not that big of a deal" - truly an amazing spirit and a class act.

David Bowie on Wikipedia -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bowie    

No comments:

Post a Comment